Nihari Gosht | How to make Mutton Nihari

1:38 PM

how to make mutton nihari
The word Nihari originated from the Arabic word "Nahar" which means morning. It is an aromatic and  melt in the mouth breakfast meat stew.  People are not sure about its origin,  according to some it originated in Old Delhi during the Mughal Empire in their last era. While others say it is an Awadhi cuisine, developed in the kitchens of the Nawabs ie., in the present day Lucknow.

Be it Mughlai or Awadhi, it tastes excellent. Even to this day you will find this particular dish in the breakfast menu in the restaurants of Old Delhi. I had my first taste of Nihari from Karim's and believe me I did not like the taste of it, but that was long long back. Since I don't frequent Old Delhi anymore, I wanted to taste this dish again. So this Bakreed I made up my mind to make it at home and revive the old memory and the result was so good that I feel like going back to Karim's and check again on their taste, hope it happens soon. In the meantime you can make and enjoy my way of preparing Nihari.....


how to make nihari gosht

Nihari Gosht

Ingredients:
Mutton - 500 gms, boneless cubes + shanks
Onions - 2 medium, finely sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Nihari masala - 2 tbsp, recipe here
Whole wheat flour - 2 tbsp,  dissolved in water
Salt - add accordingly as the masala also have some salt in it
Oil / Ghee

Method:
In a pressure cooker, heat oil or ghee. Add onions and fry till golden brown in colour. Remove and keep aside

In the same oil add mutton pieces and ginger garlic paste. Cook on high heat for around 10 minutes

Add nihari masala and salt. Cook on medium heat till oil separates

Add water and pressure cook till meat is tender. If cooking the traditional way, simmer it covered for around 4 hours

Add the fried and crushed onions and cook for 10 minutes

Add the dissolved flour in the gravy, simmer for another 15 minutes

Garnish with green chillies, ginger juliennes and lime

Serve hot with roti / naan
I have also prepared Chicken Nihari with the same masala and the taste was awesome. Do check back my page for the upcoming Chicken Nihari recipe

You Might Also Like

16